It seems like it should be an easy task to get smoother skin. However, getting smooth, even skin can take some effort. Use our guide to learn more about the causes of rough skin on your face as well as how to update your skincare routine to help achieve smooth skin.
What Causes Rough Skin on Your Face?
Rough facial skin can take a toll on your confidence. Rough skin and uneven skin texture can make it difficult to apply makeup and give your skin a dull appearance. One tricky thing about addressing rough skin is that many factors can cause bumpy or rough skin. For example, skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, or even keratosis pilaris can cause rough, bumpy skin all over your face and body.
If you are not sure what’s causing your rough skin or you are experiencing symptoms such as redness, itching, or sensitivity, we recommend talking to your dermatologist to see if you have a serious issue that needs to be addressed. Besides the skin conditions mentioned above, the top causes of rough facial skin include:
- Daily Pollution
- Sun Damage
- Dead Skin Cell Buildup
- Pore Buildup
- Dry, Flaky, or Dehydrated Skin
Rough skin often occurs when pore-clogging material accumulates on your face. When dirt, daily pollution, dead skin cells, and oil get into your pores, it can lead to pore buildup. This pore buildup can cause dull-looking skin and may even lead to more serious issues like acne and blackheads. Skin brightening products can help improve the look and feel of your skin to give you fresh, bright, breathable pores.
How to Get Smooth Skin
Smooth skin on your face is easily achievable with a consistent skincare routine and the right products! When looking to improve your skin texture, look for products that help banish pore buildup and gently exfoliate your skin. Keep reading for our top tips for getting smooth skin!
1. Adopt a Consistent Skincare Routine
Creating and sticking to a daily skincare routine is an essential part of achieving clear, smooth skin. Consistency is key when it comes to skincare. Select a moisturizer, cleanser, and exfoliator appropriate for your skin type and use the products day and night. Our Brightening Line improves tone and texture for brighter skin in just 1 week!
2. Use a Brightening Cleanser to Banish Pore Buildup
Finding the right cleanser for your unique skin is essential to accomplishing your skincare goals. When looking for smoother and more even skin, a brightening cleanser can help dissolve and remove stubborn pore buildup. Removing this gunk from your pores helps improve tone and texture and dull skin. Products with AHA and BHA can also help as these chemicals are meant to reduce clogged pores as well.
3. Exfoliate with a Gentle Face Scrub
After you cleanse your skin thoroughly, you need to exfoliate to further remove oil, dead skin cells, and dirt from your skin. When using an exfoliator, remember to be gentle! Use a brightening exfoliator to polish your pores and revitalize uneven skin.
4. Improve Skin Tone and Texture with a Clay Mask
Clay masks can help control excess oil and prevent clogged pores. When looking to get rid of rough skin, try a smoothing face mask a few times a week. These types of masks contain papaya, which is known to smooth skin by removing dead skin buildup with clays and natural fruit acid.
5. Unclog Pores with a Pore Strip
Clogged pores and blackheads can cause your skin to look congested and uneven. Instead of picking at your skin to remove blackheads, use a pore strip to instantly remove blackheads and reveal a smoother, brighter complexion.
6. Choose an Effective Moisturizer
When the skin on your face is dry, it can feel rough, uneven, and even flaky. Moisturizing is key to keeping dry skin at bay. When looking for the best moisturizer for your skin type, look for skin-nourishing ingredients like hyaluronic acid. Lightweight yet effective moisturizers help replenish moisture to soften and condition skin without leaving behind pore-clogging residue.
7. Protect Your Skin with Sunscreen
Most of us use sunscreen to protect our skin during beach vacations or the hot summer months. However, you should wear sunscreen year-round as a preventative health measure to keep your skin healthy and smooth. You should wear sunscreen daily, regardless of your skin color. Using sunscreen can help prevent skin cancer and premature skin aging, so don’t forget to apply sunscreen each day—even when it’s cloudy outside!
Lightweight yet effective moisturizers help replenish moisture to soften and condition skin without leaving behind pore-clogging residue.
8. Take Care of Your Skin from the Inside Out
While applying the right products can help you achieve beautiful, smooth skin, taking care of your body is a key component of healthy-looking skin. If you do not take care of your body, it can also impact your skin's look and feel. Here are some top tips to help you achieve healthy-looking skin:
- Eat the right nutrients: Avoid sugary, processed foods and eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein each day. Add vitamins and antioxidants in your diet, such as bright-colored fruits, vegetables, and omega-3 fatty acids, for smooth skin.
- Get enough sleep: Strive to get at least seven hours of uninterrupted hours of sleep each night.
- Exercise regularly: Exercising can help improve circulation and sweating is known to help remove impurities and gently exfoliate your skin!
- Reduce stress: Practice self care and reduce stress by doing one relaxing activity per day. Read a book, talk with a friend, or treat yourself to a nourishing face mask.
9. Seek Dermatologist Treatments For Smooth Skin
Sometimes following all of the tips above can be exhausting, and opting for a more professional procedure can help if desired. Examples of dermatologist treatments for smooth skin include:
- Laser treatment: Lasering uses streams of beams to create abrasions on the skin and remove redness, wrinkles, textured skin and more. These treatments must be done in various sessions to avoid harsh irritations all at once.
- Chemical skin peels: Chemical peels help to remove dead skin off the face and reveal smooth, new cells for tightened and brighter skin.
Our Top Tips for Smooth Skin
- Cleanse your skin twice a day to prevent pore buildup. Especially for those with excess sebum, you can use products for oily skin.
- To help get rid of rough skin, exfoliate two to three times a week. Exfoliating with a gentle face scrub helps get rid of dead skin cells and other pore-clogging material.
- Add a brightening mask a few times a week to nourish and smooth your skin.
- Instead of picking at your skin, use a pore strip to unclog pores and remove blackheads.