Unfortunately, oily skin is a common skin concern and everyone tends to produce a little extra oil on their skin. Sebaceous glands, or glands that produce oil to keep your skin healthy, can produce too much oil from time to time. Excess oil on your face can lead to clogged pores, acne, and other blemishes.
Sebaceous glands, or glands that produce oil to keep your skin healthy, can produce too much oil from time to time.
To help get rid of oily skin and keep it looking fresh throughout the day, you need to commit to an oil-busting nighttime skincare routine. Dirt and impurities can build up on the surface of your skin during the day, so keeping excess oil in check is key. From learning what you should apply on oily skin at night to how to do so, this guide will help you follow a nighttime skincare routine for oily skin.
Key Products in a Nighttime Skincare Routine for Oily Skin
In order to combat oily skin most effectively, you’ll need to find skincare products that work best with your skin. Here are some of the key products to include in your nighttime skincare routine:
Easy Nighttime Skincare Routine for Oily Skin
Step 1: Remove All Your Makeup to Avoid Clogged Pores
The first step in any proper nighttime routine is to remove all of your makeup. This step means removing foundation, concealer, bronzer, mascara—all of it! Leaving your makeup on overnight is one of the worst things you can do to your skin because it can lead to clogged pores and breakouts.
Take off your makeup using a gentle makeup removing cloth. Look for a makeup-removing product that has micellar water and take advantage of micelles-oil molecules that draw out makeup, dirt, and oil. Be gentle when removing eyeshadow and mascara from the eye area, especially if you have sensitive skin. Avoid scrubbing your face to remove makeup, and use a gentle makeup remover that helps dissolve makeup without the extra scrubbing instead.
How to use a makeup removing cloth:
- Wipe your face with the cloth to remove makeup.
- Use gentle swipes when you get to the eye area.
- Dispose in the trash after using.
Shop Cleansing Cloths
Step 2: Use A Facial Cleanser to Deep Clean Pores at Night
After removing your makeup, use a daily face wash to help remove dirt and excess oil that is trapped in your pores. a gentle detoxing cleanser that deep cleans your skin and helps to target oil.
However, avoid overwashing your skin—even if you have oily skin. Washing your face too much can cause your sebaceous glands to produce even more oil.
How to use a cleanser:
- Wet face with warm or lukewarm water.
- Pump cleanser into hands and work into a foam.
- Massage gently over your face.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Step 3: Gently Exfoliate to Remove Pore Clogging Material
Oily skin is often accompanied by large pores that can easily become clogged with dead skin cells and other material. Using a facial exfoliator regularly can help improve oily skin by removing dead skin cells. It also helps to improve the overall texture and appearance of your skin.
However, be wary of harsh scrubs and exfoliants. Use a gentle exfoliator, but avoid using it every night. Daily exfoliation is usually too harsh on your skin and can irritate it. Instead, add exfoliating to your routine once or twice a week.
How to use a face scrub:
- Wet face with warm or lukewarm water.
- Squeeze scrub into your hands.
- Massage over your entire face.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
Step 4: Apply a Toner to Help Refine and Shrink Pores
Toner is an essential part of an oily skin routine because it helps refine your pores. Try a toner with salicylic acid as an active ingredient. Salicylic acid in skincare products helps improve your skin's overall appearance by gently pushing out dead skin cells, sebum, and other pore-clogging debris.
Salicylic acid in skincare products helps improve your skin's overall appearance by gently pushing out dead skin cells, sebum, and other pore-clogging debris.
Since toner can be drying, start by using it once a day as part of either your morning or evening skincare routine. Depending on the oiliness of your skin, you may want to apply toner 1-3 times a day.
- Cleanse skin before applying toner.
- Squeeze a small amount of toner onto a cotton ball or cotton pad.
- Gentle swipe cotton over especially oily or affected areas of your face.
Step 5: Moisturize, Moisturize
All skin types need moisturizer, even oily skin. Even though it may seem like common sense to only moisturize if you have dry skin on your face, a lack of moisture can lead to even oilier skin as it goes into overdrive in producing oil when you skip moisturizer too many times.
Apply a light, hydrating night cream or lotion to your face and neck as the last step in your nightly skincare routine. Avoid rich, thick creams as they may clog pores. Gel-based moisturizers are often the best option, especially for oily skin types.
How to apply a moisturizer:
- Squeeze a small amount of moisturizer onto your fingers
- Gently swipe across the surface of your face until absorbed
Clean Detox Daily Moisturizer
Step 6: Use a Clay Mask to Prevent Excess Oil
As you’re winding down before bed, use a clay mask to detox the day away. Face masks help penetrate deep down into your pores to cleanse your skin and absorb excess oil. When looking for the best mask for oily skin, look for one that’s non-comedogenic to help purify your skin without clogging pores.
How to apply a clay mask:
- Squeeze a generous amount of the product onto your fingers.
- Spread evenly across your face, avoiding the eye area.
- Allow mask to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Rinse off thoroughly.
Step 7: Safely Remove Blackheads with a Pore Strip
If you have oily skin and large pores, you're also more likely to get blackheads and clogged pores. Instead of squeezing your pores to get rid of blackheads, safely remove them with a pore strip.
Pore strips that use scientific technology, and not glue, to unclog pores are essential for safe, effective, and instant blackhead removal. Use a pore strip once a week after cleansing your skin. After removing the pore strip, gently rinse off any residue from your skin and apply toner to refine your pores further.
However, if you have whiteheads, which are closed pores that hold excess oil and sebum, opt for hydrocolloid blemish patches instead.
Pore strips that use scientific technology, and not glue, to unclog pores are essential for safe, effective, and instant blackhead removal.
How to use a pore strip:
- Clean and wet skin on your nose.
- Peel pore strip off of the plastic and apply to your nose with the smooth side down.
- Wait 10-15 minutes as pore strip hardens.
- Slowly peel off the strip starting at the edges.
How to Prevent Oily Skin
The key to preventing oily skin is finding the best nighttime skincare routine for your skin, but here are some other ways you can guard against excess oil in your everyday life.
- Wash your face after sweating. After a workout or a day out in the sun, sweat can build up along with dirt and dead skin cells that trigger excessive oil production. Washing your face as soon as possible with a light cleanser can help reduce this build-up and keep your skin clear. Don’t forget to moisturize after washing!
- Wear sunscreen to prevent acne breakouts. Look for a sunscreen that is at least SPF 30. Not only will sunscreen prevent acne breakouts from sun damage, but it will also make sure that you don’t undo all the healthy steps you’re taking in your nighttime skincare routines.
- Avoid oily products. Thick and greasy products like cocoa butter or shea butter can be overkill for oily skin. Look for lighter products like water creams to keep your skin moisturized without the extra oil.
- Treat your skin with serums or retinol products. Ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or retinoids can come in the form of products such as serums, lotions, or night creams. They can help prevent over-production of oil as well as stop acne breakouts before they even happen by keeping your pores clear and your skin cleans.
You can keep your skin healthy and clean by completing these steps each night. Be consistent with a daily skincare routine for oily skin as well as a steady nighttime skincare routine. Find the best products that work for your skin type to reduce and control excess oil. It’s that simple. Now that your skincare routine is complete, catch some Zzz’s!You can keep your skin healthy and clean by completing these steps each night. Be consistent with a daily skincare routine for oily skin as well as a steady nighttime skincare routine. Find the best products that work for your skin type to reduce and control excess oil. It’s that simple. Now that your skincare routine is complete, catch some Zzz’s!