11 BEST PRODUCTS FOR SHINY HAIR
If your next beauty goal is to have hair so shiny it's like you just stepped out of the salon every day, you’re not the only one. Healthy, shiny hair is in, and we’re hoping this trend sticks around. So, what products make your hair shiny? Don’t worry, we’ve done the research so you don’t have to.
Best Products for Shiny Hair
The importance of health and self-care has revisited the spotlight in recent years, and your hair is a great reflection of such. In fact, good hair days can even take a hiatus if you’re feeling stressed. So kick your feet up and discover some shiny hair products to put your pouty locks on the mend.
- Gloss It’s not just lip gloss that’s popping. Hair gloss is a quick and easy way to really make those tresses stand out, all while addressing frizz and dryness. There are even colored glosses that can refine and amp up your hair color.
- Hair Oil With the right oil for your hair type, you’ll skip the greasy grime and enjoy nourished, frizz-free shine. For easy-going hair, argan oil is a safe bet, or jojoba oil if your strands run dry. If you’re on the greasy spectrum, don’t dismiss oil just yet. Consider rosemary oil to treat oily hair!
- Serum If you’re looking for something that fights off frizzy flyaways while offering protection, it’s time to check out serums. Most Hair serums contain silicone, which protects your hair from your styling tool collection and gives it — you guessed it — that sought after shine.
- Clarifying Shampoo Product build-up can weigh down your hair, and your spirit. Clarifying shampoos remove the gunk from your strands, revive your scalp, and leave you with super-clean shiny hair. Overuse can dry you out though, so just find a frequency that works for you.
- Leave-in Conditioner I know we just talked about removing product build-up, but don’t shy away from a good leave-in conditioner. Hair damage impedes on your shine, so providing moisture and protecting from further damage is key.
- Deep Conditioner Moisture equals happy hair. At least once a week, massage a quality deep conditioner into your locks, leave in for a few minutes, and rinse with cool water. Your strands will thank you.
- Dry Shampoo If you’re after shiny hair, you might want to lay off the daily showers and opt for some dry shampoo instead. Overwashing can strip your hair of needed moisture. However, if you must, consider using a dry shampoo in substitute of the regular shampoo and conditioner.
- Shampoo and Conditioner We said don’t wash your hair daily, not ever. Find a good shampoo that fits your hair type and try to avoid sulfates, especially if you have damaged or curly hair.
- Heat Protectant The best way to avoid heat damaged hair is to avoid using heat, but we understand there are times where the pros outweigh the cons. Whether you opt for a serum that offers heat protection or a standalone, heat protectant is a must for minimizing damage and maintaining shine.
- Humidifier If you live in an area that has dry air, adding a humidifier to your home decor is probably a good idea. Your skin, lips, and hair will all benefit from the added moisturize, and the obnoxious static cling will take a back seat as well.
Fast Tips for Shiny Hair
Your cart might be overflowing with shiny hair products as we speak, but some simple changes in your routine could get you closer to shiny hair than you think. Here are five tips that can help make a muted mane a thing of the past.
- Rinse with Cold Water This probably isn’t the first or last time you’ll see this tip, and it’s for good reason: it works. It might sound like pure torture to some, but cold water doesn’t have the same drying effects as hot water does. No need to turn the knob to arctic, just a cool rinse will close the hair cuticle and allow light to reflect off, giving it a glossy, healthy shine.
- Use Heat Sparingly This is often the hardest thing to give up, especially if you’re used to styling your hair a certain way. But to avoid zapping away shine one tress at a time, it may be time to explore heat-free hairstyles. When you do reach for hot tools, use a heat protectant, a low setting, and make sure your hair is dry.
- Dry with Microfiber Cotton is great, but they can be coarse, heavy, and ultimately cause breakage. Microfiber towels or t-shirts cut down on dry-time and won’t weigh down and break fragile wet hair. Less friction makes for happy hair, and happy hair is shiny hair!
- Brush Hair When Dry That’s right, there is a right way to brush your hair, and when it’s wet isn’t it. Wet hair is vulnerable, sensitive, and highly susceptible to breakage. Gently detangling with a wide tooth comb or fingers is as far as you should go. Follow up with a gentle brushing, starting from the bottom and working your way up.
- Eat Healthy Achieving healthy hair starts from within. Omega-3 fatty acids are infamous for supporting healthy strands, and can be found in a wide variety of foods. So treat yourself to a salmon filet or a handful of walnuts now and again, and admire the glow.
- There are plenty of great products out there to put your shiny hair back on the map. Use a clarifying shampoo to remove product build-up, a dry shampoo to avoid unnecessary drying, and utilize glosses and oils for a stand-out sheen. Conditioners should be your new best friend, and don’t forget to pick up a humidifier and microfiber towel on your next store run.
- Keep your eye out for hair healthy oils, such as rosemary, jojoba, and argan oils. Hair serum is also one to work into your beauty routine, as it offers protection from harsh elements and heat. Omega-3 fatty acids will add a natural, healthy shine to your hair and improve your health, so say yes to fish, nuts, and plant oils.
- Avoid products that contain sulfates, as they are known to leech moisture from your hair, which we know by now is a shine killer. Remember to avoid heat whenever possible, including scalding hot showers!
There are many things you can do to gloss up, whether it’s products, a change in routine, or a little of both. Test some things out and find what works best for you, and enjoy that shiny hair!