Long, curly hair—it’s a blessing and a curse. People with curls know that fighting frizz is part of their daily routine. Curly hair tends to be coarser, drier, and a magnet for outside moisture. The result? Hello, frizz everywhere!
Curly hair tends to be coarser, drier, and a magnet for outside moisture.
But we have some good news for you! Those smooth, silky curls are achievable with the right products and styling! Here are a few of our favorite easy hairstyles for long, curly, frizzy hair.
Shop Daily Styling Spray
Hairstyles for Long Frizzy Hair
1. Long ‘N Loose Curls
Is there anything more gorgeous than a waterfall of long, luscious curls? Here’s how to perfect the look:
- Wash and condition your curls with a frizz-fighting formula like anti-frizz shampoo and conditioner.
- Hydrate parched curls with a hair smoothing mask, and leave in for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm or cool water to help seal the hair’s cuticle.
- Smooth frizz-fighting hair serum over the ends of wet hair, avoiding the roots.
- Allow the serum to soak into your hair for a few minutes before applying a curl-reviving mousse while gently cupping curls and scrunching upwards.
- Let your hair air dry, or flip your curls upside down and blow-dry with a diffuser.
- If, despite all your efforts to keep frizz at bay, you notice some extra poof while you’re out and about, smooth on a bit of touch-up cream to tame flyaways and combat frizz on the go.
2. Side Pony
A bit more refined than the ‘80s look, a low side pony is a great way to secure unruly curls. Here’s how to get it:
- Dampen hair and spritz on a little styling spray for curly hair.
- Part your hair and sweep curls to one side.
- Secure with an elastic just above your shoulder.
3. Messy Half-Up Style
Dealing with little flyaways near your roots? A half-up, half-down ‘do can help hide unsightly frizz. Here’s how:
- Wet your hair and smooth frizz-fighting serum over your ends, getting the hair on the back of your head while avoiding the roots.
- Spritz styling spray liberally over your mane to add definition.
- Let your hair air dry or flip your curls upside down and blow-dry with a diffuser.
- Gather a small section of hair at the top of your head, and sweep it into a loose ponytail or messy bun. Secure with a hairpin and apply dry oil for additional frizz-fighting protection. Pull out a few strands around your face to add to the effortlessly messy look.
- Secure with a hairpin and apply dry oil for additional frizz-fighting protection.
- Pull a few strands around your face to add to the effortlessly messy look.
Dealing with little flyaways near your roots? A half-up, half-down ‘do can help hide unsightly frizz.
4. High Pony
A classic ponytail high on the head is another great look for long curls. Here’s how to do it:
- Dampen hair and spray on a little styling spray into curls.
- Flip hair upside down and blow-dry with a diffuser to add volume.
- Gather hair into a loose ponytail high on the head.
- Secure with an elastic and scrunch curls to add definition.
5. Low Braid
Curls add beautiful texture to a classic plait. Here’s what to do:
- Wet your hair and work in a frizz-fighting primer from mid-shaft to tips.
- Spray a daily styling spray liberally on damp hair and scrunch curls upward to add definition.
- Starting low on your head, braid hair down your back or to one side. Try a fishtail braid for something a little different!
- Secure with an elastic.
- Finish your style with a humidity-fighting hairspray.
6. Messy Bun
Short on time? The messy bun is your friend. Here’s how to achieve it:
- Gently work in a curl-defining gel and scrunch curls.
- Gather hair and pull it into a loose, messy ponytail, and secure it with an elastic.
- Twist curls around the elastic to form a loose bun.
- Pin the bun in place with bobby pins, or use another elastic or scrunchie to secure it.
- Spray with hairspray to combat frizzy flyaways all day long.
When it comes to styling your gorgeous curls, it’s all about the products you use. Shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that offer the moisture your curls desperately need while combating humidity and taming frizz are essential for healthy, happy hair.
So go rock those luscious curls! Need more curly-hair styling tricks? Check out some of our best John Frieda frizz-fighting tips here.